The Asthma Society of Canada
This web accessibility icon serves as a link to download essential accessibility assistive technology software for individuals with physical disabilities.
AQHI Subscribe Contact Us
About Asthma
Taking Control
Resources & Support
Asthma Centre Locator
Real-Life Stories & Tips
Your Healthcare Team
Asthma at School
Asthma Society Publications
Related Links
Resources & Support

Your Healthcare Team

Your Doctor & Asthma Educator | Ask the ASC Expert

Asthma is a variable condition. In other words, it can vary over time, under different circumstances and for different individuals. Because of this, your doctor will create a customized treatment plan that fits your particular needs, lifestyle and triggers, as well as the frequency and intensity of your symptoms.

This plan may include referrals to other healthcare professionals - individuals who can help you with specific aspects of asthma treatment and management.

Family Doctor
Your family doctor is an essential part of your healthcare team. He or she is familiar, not just with how asthma affects you, but also with your medical history and overall state of health.

Under certain circumstances, your doctor may refer you to a specialist. If, for example, your asthma is associated with allergies, you might be referred to an allergist. If you need help learning how to manage your asthma, you may be referred to an asthma educator. If you have difficulty managing asthma, you may be referred to a respirologist.

Whatever course of action of your doctor decides on, he or she will monitor the outcomes of your referrals. That way, you and your doctor can keep "the big picture" in mind while determining how well all the elements of your asthma management are working.

Certified Asthma Educator
A Certified Asthma Educator (CAE) is a healthcare professional, usually a respiratory therapist, nurse or pharmacist, who has completed a special asthma education program that includes written exams.

If you are unable to locate a CAE in your community, call your local hospital and ask to speak with a respiratory therapist. He or she will watch your inhaler technique and give you tips on how to best manage your asthma.

Certification for asthma educators is administered by the Canadian Network for Respiratory Care. You can find CAEs in doctors' offices, hospitals, clinics, pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies. Their training allows them to create personalized education and lifestyle-modification programs for individuals with asthma.

Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
Registered Respiratory Care Practitioner (RRCP)

A registered respiratory therapist (RRT/RRCP) has been specially trained to treat people who have problems breathing. If an asthma episode requires you to go to a hospital, an RRT/RRCP may be among the team of professionals helping you there. He or she can assist in stabilizing a person who's having an asthma attack, administer inhaled medications and conduct lung-function tests. RRT/RRCPs also provide training and education to people with asthma.

Respiratory Nurse
A respiratory nurse is a nurse who has undergone additional training in pulmonary (lung) health. Respiratory nurses can be found in doctors' offices, hospitals, clinics and health departments, assist in the treatment of people with asthma, and also provide training and education.

A pharmacist is a great source of information and education for anyone. If you have concerns about medication you've been prescribed, your local pharmacist is generally easier to reach than your family doctor, and is always happy to answer questions. He or she can also demonstrate the correct techniques for using inhaler medicines and check your own techniques to make sure you're taking them correctly.

A respirologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the study of lung diseases and related conditions such as asthma and chronic obstructive lung disease.

An allergist is a medical doctor who has specialized in the study of allergies and the conditions associated with them, including asthma.

If you have been referred to an allergist, he or she will probably administer a series of tests to determine exactly what substances or conditions you're allergic to. Once those allergens have been identified, your allergist can recommend specific treatments for your symptoms, and advise you on how best to avoid allergens in your day-to-day life.

Other Voices

Connect with other Canadians with asthma. Read real-life stories and tips, and submit your own ideas and strategies for living with asthma.

More > >

Click here for more services and programs.

Brought to you by the Asthma Society of Canada

  Home | Legal & Privacy | Credits | Sponsors| Glossary| Last updated: June 2017  

Imagine Canada
The ASC is an Imagine Canada's Ethical Code charity
HCCC We subscribe to the
HONcode principles
Verify here
We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.

DISCLAIMER: Content on this website is for information purposes only andnot a substitute for a qualified medical professional.
For specific information treatment and management your asthma and/or potential side effects of medications and
treatment, please consult your physician.