Gifts of Securities
Thank you for considering a gift of securities to Asthma Canada!
By making a gift of marketable securities to Asthma Canada, you’re joining in our vision of a future without asthma while making an immediate impact in the lives of Canadians with asthma today. Your donation of securities is a great way to ensure a brighter future for the asthma community, and also take advantage of tax benefits.
When donating securities and transferring them to Asthma Canada instead of cashing them in, you eliminate the capital gains tax that you would otherwise pay if you sold the securities and donated the proceeds. Once you have transferred securities, you’ll also receive a charitable tax receipt for your generous donation. The value of the gift qualifies for Federal and Provincial tax credits. These rules apply whether you donate the securities during your lifetime or through your will.
Asthma Canada gratefully accepts gifts of publicly traded stocks, bonds, mutual funds and REITs. You can choose to donate securities within your lifetime or as a planned gift in your will.
If you’re interested in donating securities to help Canadians with asthma, please speak with your financial advisor about this type of giving. If after consulting your advisor you decide a gift of securities is right for you, making the donation is as easy as having your advisor transfer the securities to Asthma Canada by completing our securities transfer form.
Please also inform us that you have made your gift so that we can recognize your generosity!
Benefits of Donating Marketable Securities:
- You don’t pay any capital gains tax;
- You receive a charitable tax receipt for the fair market value of your gifted security;
- You reduce the cost of your gift, while maximizing the impact it will have for those with asthma; and
- You make a difference in the lives of the 3.8 million Canadians living with asthma!
How to donate a gift of securities:
- Speak with your financial advisor to decide what type of securities you want to donate and what makes the most sense for you.
- Download and provide a copy of Asthma Canada’s Securities Transform Form to your financial advisor so that they can transfer your securities to Asthma Canada. Once transferred, you will receive a charitable tax receipt for your donation. *Note: Our policy is to sell donated securities once they have successfully cleared into our account, usually the day after your transfer. The value of your gift will be the net realized cash value of the final security sale.
- Get in touch with Asthma Canada to let us know that you have made your gift so that we can recognize your generosity and convey our appreciation!
Make sure you plan your donations in the most tax effective manner. Ensure that you seek appropriate advice from professional advisors before proceeding with a gift of securities to ensure that this type of giving is right for you.
Learn about the difference a gift makes
As a charity, it is only through the incredible generosity of donors like you that we are able to provide vital education and support programs to help stop asthma attacks and improve the lives of Canadians with asthma. You make it possible for us to continue raising the voice of the asthma community through advocacy initiatives while also working to unlock new understandings about this disease through research. To learn more about more about how funding helps click here. You can read stories from our community members here.
How Funding Helps
Gifts of RRSP/RRIF
If you are interested in leaving a gift of securities to Asthma Canada, please contact us today to see how we can make a difference together.
Phone: 1-866-787-4050 (ext.109) | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org